0247 Forty Princess Street
Reimagining a pair of listed Victorian warehouse buildings into a unified modern workplace.
The project comprises two adjacent listed buildings, Eastern House and Langley Buildings, formerly shipping and textile warehouses respectively and constructed between 1860 and 1890. The two buildings were previously crudely connected to one another and altered to form a single building, before being independently Grade II listed.
Forty Princess Street sees the two buildings coherently unified through the introduction of a new circulation core consisting of twin lifts and stairs, which slots sensitively into the former lightwell shared between the buildings and which once allowed daylight onto the numerous warehouse floors.
Key to the planning application and listed building consent, a fully glazed rooflight ensures daylight continues to penetrate the new core into the office suites, recognising it’s historic significance. New toilet accommodation and building services risers complete the modernisation of the landlord’s zones, whilst fully refurbished floor plates to Cat A and Cat B specification provide new office suite accommodation.
Externally, a reconfiguration of the Princess Street elevation to declutter the facade and provide a new building entrance allows fully compliant lift and stair access from street level up to a new arrival and reception space, connecting directly to the new circulation core. With commanding views out onto Princess Street, the lounge has been designed to cater for the needs of the building’s customers and delivers informal meeting and work spaces, supported by a fully hosted reception with refreshment station. Elsewhere, reconfigured basement levels provide end of trip facilities for active travel, with cycle parking, showers and changing facilities and a future gym space
Wittington Investment Properties Ltd
BB Heritage Studio
Paul Butler Associates